Even though wedding makeup is usually very simple and neutral, it’s one of the hardest makeup looks to create, since it has to be PERFECT. After all, it is your big day!
Makeup should last all day, through all the crying, hugging, kissing, eating and dancing. You’ll probably want to get your mascara waterproof, lips to be kiss proof, and your skin makeup to be bombproof. (I really recommend Model in a Bottle as it makes your makeup last several hours!)
Your goal is to bring out your best features- not to prove how well you apply your makeup. So keep it simple but pretty. Sometimes less is more.
If you’re going get your makeup done by a professional makeup artist, be sure to tell him/her what you want from your makeup. If you want something bolder, or some specific color, you should be able to get it. It is after all YOUR day, and you’re the one who gets to decide how your makeup looks.
Don’t forget your decollete, if your dress shows it. A little amount of soft shimmer gives the final touch to your look
Remember that some foundations and/or powders look different in pictures, since they reflect light differently. If possible, get your makeup checked and photographed with a flash before the big day. Also, blend your foundation down the neck some to make sure your face does not look different from the rest of your body.
If you’re getting any facial treatments, make sure to get them several days before the wedding day. Sometimes skin can look irritated for the next couple of days after treatments, and you don’t need that kind of surprise!
Get your brows plucked and shaped (possibly even dyed) before the wedding day. If you pluck them on your wedding day, your brows may look red, swollen and irritated.
If you’re going to wear contact lenses on your wedding day, put the lenses on before applying your makeup.
Try not to stress too much (easier said than done, I know!). Stress may cause impurities on your skin. If you have some impurities, do not pick at them as it makes them worse! Also, put a clean pillowcase on every night and drink plenty of water (avoid sugars, excess milk, and carbonated beverages). Your body and skin reflects what you eat, so get plenty of veggies and fruits.
Some basic notes about wedding makeup…
Makeup that lasts: Face primers
- Fills in pores and makes the skin look smoother
- Makes the makeup last longer
*My favorite face primer: Benefit “The Porefessional”
- Green neutralizes redness (rosacea, pimples, etc)
- Yellow neutralizes blue (dark circles)
- Lavender neutralizes yellowness
*My favorite undereye concealer: Eve Pearl Salmon Concealer
- Make sure foundation matches your skin tone, be sure to check it in both natural light and artificial light
- If possible, check out how your makeup base looks in photos: Does it appear lighter or darker than the rest of your skin?
- You can set the foundation using powder – just be sure you don’t apply it too much, so the result doesn’t look cakey. Preferably use translucent powder.
For foundation application techniques, check out Marlena’s video or Face Routine
*My favorite foundation: Revlon Colorstay
Shine the light: Illuminators/ Highlighters
- Doesn’t everyone want to shine on their wedding day? To get that wedding day glow, apply highlighter to the tops of your cheekbones, near the tear ducts, and just under the brows. Any more than that and you’ll be looking like a disco ball…. Keep the glitter and shimmer products to a minimum.
*My favorite highlighter: MAC Mineralize Skinfinish
Blushing bride: Blushes
- To avoid looking too pale, use a subtle blush on the apple of your cheeks- it brings more life to your face. A universal flattering shade is a peachy pink color…
*Best universal blush ever: NARS Blush in “Orgasm”
Sit, stay: Eyeshadow primers
- Use eyeshadow primer to keep your eyeshadow in place, even when you’re crying out of happiness. This will prevent creasing throughout the day.
*My favorite eye primer: Tarte Natural Eye Primer
- Use waterproof mascara, so it won’t end up on your cheeks if you happen to shed a tear (or a dozen). You don’t always have to use black mascara- for a more natural look, brown mascara can be better choice.
This will lash forever: False lashes
- Easy way to enhance your eyes without using too much makeup is to wear artificial lashes. If you are afraid that lash glue will leave you in trouble, you can get yourself lash extensions for the big day. The most natural looking lashes have an invisible base like Ardell’s Invisbands
*The most natural lashes (and easiest to apply): Ardell #301′s
Hugs & kisses : Lips
- Choose a lasting lip color. If it doesn’t last, make sure it matches your groom’s outfit, because he’ll be the one wearing it eventually… Lipstains work really well as they give a nice color to the lips that you need for pictures, plus it lasts for hours.
- Choose a lip liner the same color as your lipstick/ gloss. Lip liners prevent the lipstick from bleeding.
TIP: Apply lip liner to whole lips before applying lipstick. It makes the color last even longer.
*My favorite lipstains: Palladio Lipstains
*My favorite inexpensive lipliners that work really well! NYX Lipliners
Don't forget you will be taking photos all day long!!!!!!!!!!